I know I probably say this all the time, but I think these are my favourite invention so far. They started off as my usual boring Cacao Macaroons, with an attempt at giving them a bit of a protein kick, and after some refinement have turned into these little beauties, topped off with Freeze-dried Strawberries. Because Freeze-Dried strawberries make the world a better place, and at 1 calorie a pop I feel justified in putting them on absolutely anything and everything. And since it had been a while since I made some Paleo Chocolate, I decided that this was a necessity also. Though these are much better for you than their conventional counterparts, make sure you don’t scoff the whole batch (as I pretty much did!) as they are still a treat/ pre-workout food!
If you want to make these a little bit less decadent then feel free to skip the Chocolate coating, I devoured half of the batch as is before I got around to making the chocolate anyway and they were still ace!
MAKES: 12-14 bars
For the bars…
1 cup of dates
1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup Cacao
4 scoops (60g) Chocolate Protein Powder
2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
50ml Maple Syrup
For the topping
3-5 Freeze-dried Strawberries
Small Nut pieces
For the chocolate
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
2 tablespoons Almond Butter
3 tablespoons Cocoa or Cacao
1 1/2 teaspoons honey (*OR half and half honey and maple syrup *OR all natural maple syrup to make this fully vegan)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Blend all the ingredients for the bars (excluding the maple syrup) in a food processor, or mix by hand.
4. Set in the freezer for 10-20 minutes and then begin on your chocolate.
6. Take your bars out of the freezer and gently tap out onto a chopping board that is coating with baking paper or tinfoil (unless you don’t mind getting chocolate all over your chopping board).
9. Once the chocolate is set (about five minutes), take the bars out again, and drizzle the remaining chocolate over the tops of the bars. Replace into the freezer for about two minutes.
10. Remove the bars from the freezer, the chocolate should be semi-set but still somewhat melted on top. Crumple some freeze-dried strawberries or desired topping over and set back in the freezer until just before you need them!
*If you want really chocolatey bars, then make a double batch and repeat the dipping in chocolate process for multiple layers to build up a delicious and thick chocolatey coat 😉